“ With accounting and legal training I am in a position to assist clients in tax dispute and resolution matters.”
I am an ideal problem solver as I have 35 years of experience in accounting, tax and business issues, coupled with legal issues.
CLIENTS AND EXPERTISE
Clients comprise high net worth individuals and medium sized corporations across a range of industries, including commercial and industrial property, retail, jewellery manufacture, toll manufacture, health and agriculture.
- Bachelor of Economics
- Bachelor of Laws
- Fellow of the Institute of Chartered Accountants
- Chartered Tax Advisor – Tax Institute of Australia
- Fellow Governance Institute of Australia
- Fellow Institute of Chartered Secretaries
- Admitted Barrister at Law of the Supreme Court of New South Wales and High Court of Australia
- Served as Governor of the Taxation Research Foundation of Australia under the Chairmanship of Sir Harry Gibbs.
- Chairman and Member of the Challis Taxation Group for some 25 years.
- Committee Member Taxation Institute of Australia – Dispute Resolution Committee.
PAPERS PRESENTED AT THE TAX INSTITUTE CONFERENCES – 2012 TO CURRENT:
- Paper: Cash Economy Audits and Benchmarking – NSW Convention (May 2012), Tasmanian Convention (October 2012) and Tax Group (October 2012).
- Webnar: National Streaming Benchmarking (November 2012)
- Paper: Tax Agents Services Act – NSW Convention and Tax Groups (May 2013).
- Paper: Managing a Tax Audit – Presented to The Tax Institute August 2013
- Tax Controversy and Dispute Resolution – Tax Groups.
- Presented: Safe Harbour Provisions TAA and TASA (March 2013).
- Webnar: FBT Issues and “In respect of employment” (June 2013 and 2014)
- Presented: Tax Amnesty Project DO IT.
- Chair tax conferences on tax amnesty.
- Participated in Q & A Sessions for general tax issues (October 2012).
- Australian National Mediator Accreditation System – Completed requirements for the LEADR Accreditation Scheme -2014
- Paper : NSW Tax Institute Convention – Family Constitution and Deed of Family Arrangement.
- Paper and Presentation at NSW Tax Institute with Michael Cranston, Deputy Commissioner of Taxation – “Does the ATO think your client Risky”? – May 2016.
- Resolving and negotiating with the ATO tax issues for a diverse client group. Issues include superannuation compliance, offshore income, asset disclosures, benchmarking desk audits, high net worth risk reviews, full tax audits and general compliance.
- Working as part of a multi disciplinary team with lawyers on accounting and evidential matters and in providing expert evidence.
- Preparation of submissions and negotiations with the ATO in respect of transfer pricing matter and presentation to ATO Audit Panel.
- Conducting tax due diligence for purchasers of businesses and working with lawyers on tax indemnities in the share purchase agreements.
- Advising on payroll tax, workers compensation and assisting clients in submissions and or tribunal appearances for these State imposts.
- Structuring client businesses and groups taking into account family, commercial and taxation issues.
- Working with the ATO through the tax audit procedures for clients.
- Negotiating Commonwealth tax debt waiver and ATO penalty and other remissions.
- Applying for private tax rulings, including definition of arms length income in superannuation funds and employee benefits trust.